Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:11:06 -0500
Todd Moody wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Caryl Wattman wrote:
>
> > Is the casein in grain-fed cattle causing the continued
> > overproduction of yeast?  Ilya suggests the casein in such cattle is or may be
> > gluten-like, although he says he would like to have references for this idea.
> > Anyone?
>
> I don't have any references, but as far as I know casein is
> strictly a *milk* protein and should not be present in meat.
Just to clarify - casein is a milk protein. I didn't mean to imply
that meat contained it. When I mentioned meat in the same message
it was a reference to the fact that some people react to grain fed
beef, but not grass fed beef so some protein in it may be similar
to gluten. Also, casein is a family of proteins. Human breast milk
also contains casein, but it is different and does not seem to
produce bad reactions in babies if the mothers are on a gluten
and bovine casein free diet.

Ilya