Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:29:57 -0500
James Crocker wrote:
> Instead of complain and point fingers (and call people trolls) why don't
> those people post some data to support their views?  Or, maybe those
> people have a priori view points and agendas of their own?
In case you don't know 'troll' in internet parlance refers to somebody who
makes a statement designed to draw many responces, usually for the sake
of generating traffic. A troll delights in seeing many (and often heated)
responces to his message(s). Whether Amadeus intends it or not his postings
are very much like those of a troll. A troll usually does not care whether
the issue is properly resolved. He just states (and restates over and over)
the same set of ideas. When one gets attacked he goes on to the next one,
then the next one, then back again. Some say just ignore a troll, but many
of the people feel that the discussion on the list would then look like its
agreeing with what a troll says and feel they need to respond (for the sake
of the newbies on the list, for example) thus generating the troll trafic.

I personally don't know if Amadeus is genuine in his posting or not. For that
matter I don't care - in this case it's the effect they are having. If somebody
drops a heavy weight on my head and kills me I am dead all the same whether
he meant it or not. This is NOT about my views being challenged. If somebody
can do it consistently, and follow the argument though more power to him.
Such a poster will probably end up changing my opinion. Amadeus doesn't do
it - he basically restates the same stuff over and over. So calling him a troll
(in internet terms) is justified (again, regardless of whether he actually
means to draw message traffic or it's his true intention to post good messages
and they come out looking like those of a troll).

Ilya