Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:51:36 -0400
Kent Multer wrote:
> As a sushi fanatic, I always keep an ear out for reports of people getting
> sick from it.  My understanding is that it never occurs in restaurants; it
> always happens to people who tried to make sushi at home, and didn't use
> the right kind of fish.
There is a Japanese grocery store near where I live that sells fish specifically
for sushi. They will even slice it up for you as sashimi if you'd like.
(I prefer to do it myself since it tastes a little fresher if sliced just before
you eat it). I would guess the safety factor for this fish is no worse than
a sushi restaurant.

As an aside - a lot of the selections in Japanese restaurants that might look
raw are actually cooked. For example, virtually all types of clams (giant, etc.)
are cooked, not raw. If you know the chef he'll usually give you some raw clams
if you ask for them, but not otherwise. Also either salmon or tun (forget which)
is not completely raw - it's slightly pickled or marinated.

Ilya