Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 15:45:54 -0500
"L. Anderson" wrote:
> I try to stay in ketosis most of the time. Usually every night, I am in
> pink to purple range, and every mooring lately I find I am totally out of
> ketosis. By evening I am back in ketosis. I do have a tendency to eat nuts
> in the evening as a snack but other than that I eat no more than 20-30
> g/carbs a day -all vegetable. Why would I be thrown out of ketosis in the
> morning after fasting all night?
First, you may not be out of ketosis. You are simply not spilling enough
excess ketones into urine, but might still be in ketosis. This might be
because your body actually used up some ketones while you slept. In general,
don't fret the ketostix readings too much. They are no more than a usefull
hint as to whether you are eating too many carbs or not. I can easily mess
up my reading by eating more fat (will put me into deep purple) or drinking
more water (less purple) or dehydrating (more purple), and none of these
really answer the question what we care about - are we eating low enough
amounts of carbs to avoid being kicked out of ketosis. Remember, if you
are fairly well depleted, most carbs you eat will go into your muscles
before they go into your liver, thus not affecting ketosis.

Ilya