From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:21:15 -0800

At 05:34 PM 2/17/01 -0600, Judy Carlson wrote:

>The best advice that I could give you, is that you focus on the fact
>that you CAN have ANY meats, Veggies and fruits, instead of looking at
>what can't be eaten!  You can also begin preparations now, your biopsy
>won't be changed by your avoiding SOME of the gluten products! Go ahead
>and keep on eating them, just lessen the amount!

I thought this should go to the list since I think this paragraph is a
little misleading to newcomers. You do have to be careful of ham and turkey
breast meat. Both of these are often injected with flavorings that may
contain gluten. Any ham that says "Water added" should probably be checked
out before eating. But there are several lists of gluten free brand name
products that are life savers for newcomers.

Also the turkey can be injected with butter, and many newly diagnosed
celiacs are lactose intolerant for the first year or two till their gut
heals and the villi are able once again to produce lactase, which allows us
to digest lactose. I drank milk by the half gallons all my life, and when
my doc tested me and told me I was also lactose intolerant I thought he was
full of nuts and gluten. But after avoiding all dairy for two weeks, I
found that even half a spoon ful would ruin me for a day or two. And of
course the reaction to lactose is similar to that of gluten, so it muddies
the water in  your attempts to figure out the diet.  -vance