From:
Judy Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:34:32 -0600

This is the second part of my summary.  Thanks to everyone who answered.

The best advice that I could give you, is that you focus on the fact
that you CAN have ANY meats, Veggies and fruits, instead of looking at
what can't be eaten!  You can also begin preparations now, your biopsy
won't be changed by your avoiding SOME of the gluten products! Go ahead
and keep on eating them, just lessen the amount!

I was diagnosed in September and one of the best sources I found was the
book Against The Grain by Jax Peters Lowell. (I ordered mine from
Amazon). Also, Stokes Pharmacy (800-754-5222) publishes a book for
celiacs - A Guide Through The Medicine Cabinet listing gluten free
prescription drugs and over the counter products. Also you should
subscribe to the newsletter Gluten Free Living (P.O. Box 105, Hastings-
on-Hudson, NY 10706. 6 issues (1 yr.) $29.00.

Judy, check this site for support, gf food lists and recipes:

http://www.delphi.com/celiac/messages/

Also, get the cookbooks from Bette Hagman....there are 3 or 4.  I love
the bread one (her newest).  My favorite bread recipe is Oregon bread in
this book.  It's the closest to "regular" gf bread I've found yet.  You
can order on amazon.com or find them at most book stores.

Don't despair.  This is a very managable diet once you find all the
products you can purchase.  Once you realize how many people have the
disease and you are not alone, it makes everything ok.  Just this past
weekend, 8 of us celiacs met (many for the first time) for a gf weekend
here in Texas.  We had a ball and bonded for life.  Things like this
help us from feeling sorry for ourselves.  At least we don't have
cancer.

Judy, hope it isnt too long before your bioposy so you dont have to eat
gluten.  What I do is eat natural foods.  By that I mean fruit, veggies,
meat, potatoes and rice.  I have a bread machine to make bread and I
also make what I call bread balls.  Will give you the recipe if you
want.  They are fast to make and good.  I have long ago given up on
buying anything prepared.  Do you eat dairy?  If so all Cabot products
are gf.  I can eat hard cheeses but not dairy.

I run recipes off of here and went to the library where they had books
of  gluten free recipes as well as other allergy cookbooks.  I looked
them over to see which ones I would like best.  There are some that I
copied a few recipes from.

If you go to Celiac.com, that site offers tons of GF recipes and a safe
and forbidden list.  (I have done this and found a great variety of
recipes to start with - thanks to everyone of the list for the
suggestions!!)