From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:42:28 -0800

At 02:20 PM 2/17/01 -0600, Dave Westheimer wrote:

>And the source does not have to be listed on the label, at least in the US.
>Neither does the carrier, if there is one. Think about it: neither Mahatma
>or Uncle Ben's list the source of the enrichment on their labels, we know
>from inquiring that they are gluten free. That "Natural Vitamin E"  from
>Archer Daniels Midland comes from soy, according to their ads; but you won't
>see that source listed on the box of a product containing it.
>
>There's nothing to be paranoid about, just use common sense and check with
>the manufacturer of any "enriched" product.

Dave makes a good point here. Vit E made from wheat germ does not have to
list the wheat germ. And there are many things in our food that do not have
to be listed separately. For instance, any time they list an ingredient on
a product, they do not have to list any other ingredient that might be
carrying. Often tomato paste or puree has gluten in it, but when they add
that paste to a product they are only required to list the paste; they do
not have to check with the supplier of that paste and then list anything it
has in it. Just the paste, maam. Just the paste. And this is true of many
other ingredients. That's why I was so interested in compiling a list of
hidden glutens -- ingredients that might "piggy-back" gluten into the product.

They do want to make things hard for people like us. -vance

I read this article that said the typical symptoms of stress are eating too
much, smoking too much, impulse buying and driving too fast. Are they
kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day :)