From:
Glen Sagers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:06:59 -0600
The easiest (& probably cheapest) way I have found is to get a laplink cable
(parallel), and hook it to both computer's printer ports, then use Fast PC
Linker.  It doesn't do everything Laplink does, but it transfers files just
fine, has a freely downloadable trial, is small, can be used from a bootable
floppy, and is only 30 bucks as opposed to 130.
They also give you pinouts for making your own cable, or will sell you the cable
and program for 35.
It's at http://members.aol.com/racity/link.html

Hope this helps.

P.S. I've never used it on NT or 2000, and the homepage says it needs Admin
right on NT.  I don't know about 2000, but if you truly need cd-rom only, then
make a dos/win9x boot disk, install cdrom drivers, then install the program to
the floppy.  You should be able to at least read the cdrom if you can boot the
work laptop from a floppy.

Errol wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I think this is a hardware and software question.....
>
> I have given my son my old Compaq Contura 430CX laptop which is an Intel 486
> with 8 meg ram running Windows for Workgroups V3.11 / DOS 6.22.
>
> My question is this, as most software is on CD these days, and this machine
> does not have a CD drive, how can I connect a CD drive to this machine. I
> can't afford an external drive right now so I was hoping I can cable-link my
> works laptop to this machine and install software this way. My works laptop
> is a Compaq Presario 1920 PII running Windows 2000 Pro.
>
> I know how to link two computers running Windows 2000 or 98 but not if one
> is running Windows for Workgroups.
>
> Your advice and suggestions will be most welcome,
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Errol Lishman
>
> Johannesburg
>
> South Africa