Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:49:31 -0600
This may not meet your requirements for whole machine backup, although it will
do that, but I like second copy 2000 (search on the web) It will copy, copy &
sync, and/or zip the destination files, at specified intervals.  It will
backup to another disk, another machine on the network, cdrw or (I think) ftp
server that's located remotely.

Norton Ghost is good for making whole machine backups, but not always the most
convenient.

On the hardware side, a second hard drive is the cheapest solution, but
subject to virus attacks, accidental deletion, or other things that could
erase data.  There are removable caddies for hard drives, but I don't know the
cost or convenience.
Other removable storage is fairly limited in size, unless you go tape, which
isn't outdated, but is fairly expensive.  Tape is nice though, because offsite
backups are possible, just take it away for added security.

Just some thoughts.
Glen Sagers

>What do people recommend for a home backup
>solution?
>
>Convenience matters.  I'd like to be able to use it
>with multiple machines, either over a network or
>by moving the device from machine to machine.
>
>I'm thinking of tape, but is this getting outmoded?
>
>I think I'd prefer to backup the whole machine, rather
>than just copying 'important' files to a zip disk or
>something.  However, a 'bulk storage' solution that
>could also be used for backup would have its
>attractions.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com