From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 00:15:01 -0400
At 10:55 PM 5/15/1998 David A. Abbe wrote:

>Before I go ripping things out of my 486 looking for the number of this
>motherboard, I thought I'd ask if there was a standard location to see
>the numbers??  I have no documentation with this thing and want to start
>figuring out just what I have.  I am hoping not to have to take out too
>much in order to find it.  ??

If you write down the BIOS maker and serial number from the bootup
screen (bottom), you should be able to reference the serial number
from the BIOS company's website and get the name of the motherboard
company who licensed that particular BIOS chip. Then you look up
the motherboard company's website and try to identify the board
from the description or picture.

A good web pages to start researching motherboards are:

   Wim's BIOS Page  http://ping4.ping.be/bios/numbers.shtml

   Motherboard Home World  http://www.motherboards.org/search/wais.cgi

HTH.

John Chin