From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 16:50:07 -0400
Socket 7 motherboards with the older 66Mhz bus are going for about $70-90US.
Boards with the newer 100Mhz bus speed are around $140-190US with the name
brands (like Asus or Tyan) at the top of each class (naturally).

I just came back from a "show" this weekend and the highest CPU speed I saw
for a socket 7 board was in the 330Mhz range (331 I think).

I also wouldn't place too much emphasis on future upgradability.  Back in
the "old" days when Intel had a lock on the market, they could release new
products at their leisure.  Now that AMD and CYRIX are becoming serious
competitors, new releases will be coming out much faster.  In all likely
hood, the technology will leapfrog past your "upgradable" board and leave it
in the dust.

I read an article back in the early spring about FUJITSU developing an
"all-in-one-chip" computer (no more TX or VX or BX chipsets) that is
supposed to have a bottom end speed above 400Mhz.  Haven't heard much else
about it except that it was/is due out in the fourth quarter of this year.