From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 10:59:12 -0400

Unless you really intend to do component level repairs (it is
**NOT** a cost effective solution) of the board, you will not
need scopes or POST cards or any exotic test equipment.
Anything more than a voltmeter and diagnostic software would
be a wasted investment.

Fluke DMMs are absolutely the top of the line.  I don't foresee
the need to do more than test the output of the power supply, so
a low-end Fluke would be more than suitable.

There are several freeware programs that will test a pre-Windows95
PC to ensure that it has all the "right stuff" before upgrading
to Windows.  Cybermedia had one called "Check-Up for Windows 95"
and Microsoft also had a Pre-Install checking program called
"W95CHECK.EXE"

I use First Aid and Nuts&Bolts for my diagnostics and testing.
Both of these products were rated better than Norton Utilities
by one of the Ziff-Davis mags.  I think the report is still
online at ZDNET.

I use Cybermedia's First Aid for diagnostic tests on the software
side. For example, it can identify and reinstall a sound driver
for your sound card.  It can test your DUN and modem to make
sure you can connect to your ISP.  It can resolve IRQ conflicts.
In many cases, it can automatically fix problems.  At the
minimum, it will give you a screen full of information/instructions
on how to resolve the problem.

I use Helix Software's Nuts & Bolts for hardware diagnostics.  It can
test and pinpoint SIMM problems as well as every hardware component
in your system.  It has a most excellent registry tool, an improved
version of scandisk and defrag, a TWEAKUI-like desktop customizer,
and a ZIP manager, as well as several other minor "goodies"