From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:55:08 -0500
geoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a  Windows 98 peer to peer network of 10 machines.
> Following power on you get a pop-up box entitled "Enter Network Password"
> If no security is required does anybody know how to prevent this box
> appearing so that entries in the Start Up menu can load and run without any
> keyboard activity at all.

   We use TweakUI in our low security machines for automatic logons.
Download the 95 version or get the 98 version off the Win98 CD (first
edition only) and install it (it has a rightclick install on the last
tweak file). In the Control Panel click on the Tweak applet and arrow
over to the Network Tab. Use the appropriate version for Win95 or Win
98. For location on the 98 CD and more detailed install notes browse to:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/6/43.ASP

 95 version download:
http://www.microsoft.com/NTWorkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

 Note that while Microsoft engineers have developed the powertoys
(including Tweak) the official MS line is that the utility is
unsupported. And while it can found on the Windows 98 first edition CD
they have not updated it and it was removed on 98 SE CD. I have used it
for 5 years and found it works on all versions of Windows 9X quite well.
Occasionally a machine will refuse to do the auto logon. To remedy that
rogue machine use this KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q190/0/82.ASP

Cheers,

Russell Smith