From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 12:28:58 -0800
On 25 May 98 at 19:55, Bobby D Herring wrote:

> .... I bought an old
> Creative SB CD drive, model CR-563-B. I was told to use the other IDE
> plug on my controller card and to put the cd as the only device on the
> cable. When I do this, it fails in the boot up ...

  Consulting Creative Labs' web page at

http://www.soundblaster.com/wwwnew/tech/spec/cdrom/563.html

I see that this drive has a "Creative/MKE interface", also known as a
"Panasonic" interface.  Although this uses 40 pins, it's *NOT* IDE,
and won't work with an IDE/EIDE controller, as you've discovered.

  To use this drive, you'd need to find an interface card -- such as
several of the SoundBlaster models -- which offers a Panasonic CD-ROM
interface.  [If you already have a sound card you're happy with, you
may do better to spend $30 or so on a brand new EIDE/ATAPI CD-ROM
drive instead.]

David G