From:
PHoganDive <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 18:41:35 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/98 12:45:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
<< At 06:36 AM 5/26/1998 Michael Slater wrote:

 >Your CR-563 CD ROM is a proprietary CD, it is actually a Panasonic
 >(Mitsumi), so you will need to plug it into your sound card Panasonic
 >connection.  This is not IDE that is why it will not find it there.

 Michael
 Can you confirm that Panasonic is indeed Mitsumi?
 I know that Matsushita makes the Panasonic line but
 I had no idea it builds Mitsumi products, too.

 TIA.
 Regards,
 John Chin >>

Hi,
  From back in the days of pre-IDE CD drives (1X and some 2X), there were 3
major "standards", or proprietary interfaces that most CD drives used, which
of course were incompatible with each other, so you needed the correct one for
your particular CD drive. The three were Panasonic, Mitsumi (different from
Panasonic), and Sony. Many of the soundcards from that era were equipped with
all 3 connectors.
  Personally, unless I had all the parts onhand needed to make one of these
old CD's work, I wouldn't bother with it. You'll spend more than the drive is
worth to make it work, and even then you'll have a very slow drive, especially
considering what a modern, fast IDE CD drive costs nowadays.

HTH,
Peter Hogan