EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Tanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:42:11 +0100
Message: 4
   Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 16:22:16 -0000
   From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Protein Question - Greg/Tom/Abe

--- In [log in to unmask], "Greg Watson" <gowatson@o...>
wrote:

> Hi Abe,
> Couple of things here.
> Sounds like most of your exercise is aerobic.  Aerobic exercise
uses stored
> Liver glycogen to provide the energy required for the exercise.
Until the Liver
> is depleted of glycogen, fat will not be used as a fuel source.

Don't think this is accurate. The conventional wisdom says that a
combination of fat and glycogen would be used for fuel, with the
understanding that the more intense the exertion level, the less fat
would be stoked for fuel. The idea is that the body would switch from
using some fat for fuel to no fat for fuel when the oxygen demands
changed from aerobic to anaerobic. Then it would use glucose only for
the immediate source of energy.

> Short intense anaerobic exercise causes GH to be released and GH
causes fat
> cells to release fatty acids and switches muscles from burning
glucose to
> burning fatty acids.  It also boosts IGF-1 to rebuild muscle
protein.

No disagreement here but only if the body has engaged the exercise
session on an empty stomach(or fasting glucose insulin state: 3 to 4
hours after a meal; 2 to 3 hours after a snack). The rest of the
burden would come immediately from stored muscle/liver glycogen in
concert with ATP.

> You can get aerobic exercise to burn fat by taking a GH releasing
supplement
> about 60 minutes before the exercise.  I find 3g of APGL or 3g of
Glutamine
> works well.

Not necessary. Fat is used as fuel for all aerobic exercise whether
the blood sugar is high or fasting. In the one case, the exercise
performed immediately after eating would have a lowering insulin
effect as the glucose is shuttled directly to muscles for instant use
(you would loose the Gh pulse however because of the presence of
insulin). On the other hand, aerobic exertion near fasting glucose
levels will use fat also plus glucose from stored reserves. Hunger
would not be felt during the session and even prolonged by the use of
the amino acid. But the GH pulse would be marginal unless there was
high intensity, switching from aerobic to anaerobic pathway.

> You need to eat protein or your body will breakdown your muscles to
get the
> protein it needs.  I eat about 90g / 3oz of tuna / salmon before &
after I
> exercise (that's about 23g of protein) to be sure I keep the muscle
growth I
> have worked for.

Again, not necessary, if you have eaten properly 3 hours before.
Also, after the session, it's best to wait at least 30 to 45 min.
before consuming anything other than water.

>DON'T use any carbs before, during or after the exercise.
>
> Never exercise longer than 60 minutes as cortisol builds up and
will tear down
> your muscles.
> ========================
> Good Health & Long Life,
>  Greg Watson,
>   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gowatson

Hi Greg,

The most common/popular type of aerobic exercise is sleeping or
watching TV. Problem is, unless you're in that 'GH friendly Zone'
from the last meal, you're not going to be using fat as efficiently
for fuel since the fasting glucose never really flatlines.

Most exercise benefits are realized after the session is well over.
That said, the most beneficial form would be the anaerobic type:
intermittent, intense exercise in brief spurts promotes hormone
drives that quench hyperinsulinemia and build muscle and bone density
that keep you young and lean. These alterations in hormone levels and
flux elevate your metabolic fitness.

>From that standpoint it seems that exercise alone would only
contribute about 20 percent(verses 80 percent dietary)to our
antiaging efforts, since we cannot exercise 24 hours a day. But our
meals have hormonal effects on our bodies all day long. You eat
nutritionally dense foods, that are low in calories and high in fiber
and antioxidants. It will end your carbohydrate cravings and raise
your energy level which is depleted by the blood sugar/insulin
rebound and high serotonin levels promoted by high calorie foods. The
diet would be high in natural plant fiber, phenols, flavonoids, and
phytochemicals, nature's own cancer-fighting and antioxidant
compounds.

The importance of the 80 percent diet, including caloric restriction,
depends upon proper food variety and timing of meals to promote the
growth and retention of lean muscle mass and shed fat, providing the
anti-aging benefits of severe calorie-restricted diets without the
costs.

If you're eating in 'the GH friendly Zone' you can access those fat
stores 24 hours a day.

Thanks,
Tom

Message: 5