Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 08:16:26 -0400

I would just like to respond to Jim Lyles excellent (as usual) posting on
verifying and substantiating claims of GF listings.  I totally agree with the
effort to substantiate claims made about products, including the date the
verification was made, contacts, etc.

Perhaps one additiional piece of information would help reassure us that the
proper questions were asked when calling food manufacturers.  Maybe we could
list what ingredient we suspected when we checked the product. (or what
ingredients, if more than one).  For example, the recent postings on Coke and
Coke products.  Was the company questioned about the source of their
carmel-coloring?   Just a gluten free claim doesn't reassure me. Especially
when we get a response that "all" the companies products are GF.
Please take these comments in the manner they were intended.  We are really
refining this list every day and I think it is great that some of us take the
time to question manufacturers so thoroughly.  That is what helps people feel
more confident in the gf lists we do see, or more questioning of companies
that make "general" claims.

Thanks again to Jim, and all the others for watching so carefully and keeping
us on the right track.   :))