From:
"Thomas, Janet (HRD)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:16:00 ADT

Andy, trust your instincts.  Two years ago my Celiac son (who was 5 at the
time) visited a historical village with his kindergarten class where they
made cookies the 19th century way.  He did not actually eat anything, but
with all the flour in the air from so many hardworking 5 year olds, he had a
reaction.  Not severe, but a reaction.  So take care.  On the other hand, I
keep a small bag of wheat flour in the house only for making playdough. I
make it and he plays with it and has never had a reaction.  But, he is VERY
CAREFUL about his diet and would never put the play dough in his mouth.

In terms of behavioural changes, that too has been common with our son.  He
was diagnosed more than 4 years ago and the behaviour change is what tells
us that he has inadvertently ingested gluten.  He cries about silly things
and when asked what he is crying about answers"I don't know".  He is
irritable and can't cope with the simplest tasks, such as zipping up his
jacket.  Although one internist (adult) told me that this was just because
he didn't feel well, our pedaetrician told us that this was common in Celiac
kids.  He said the medical community speculates that this is due to a
malabsorption of essential vitamins, minerals and trace elements which then
affects brain chemistry and thus behaviour.  In fact, he based his initial
diagnosis of Michael on the behaviour change that he observed over a
three-week hospital stay and sent us 500 miles to a special children's
hospital on that alone.

Hope this helps,

Janet Thomas
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada