C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:54:27 -0400
Hi Joy,

Yes I agree with you sometimes there is a 'fine line' between the two.  I find
myself asking for handicapped seating at a concert (which can sometimes be the
worst thing to do, because you get the 'worst' seat - but they put you on an
aisle, because they think you need an aisle), and some people construe a
handicapped 'show/concert' seat as being front row (which I don't mind a bit).
It's funny - I called for seats to a concert in West Virginia one time, and
asked for h/p seating.........  the reply was sure, ok.  Then she said "you are
in a wheelchair, aren't you"?  I said "no, I use a walker at times to get
around, and cannot do steps".  Her reply was - Our handicapped area is for
wheelchairs ONLY!!  Good grief!!  I felt like telling her do you know how many
people in this world are on braces, crutches, etc??  And they 'aren't'
handicapped???  ARGH!!  I tend to think that there is a fine line between pity
vs privilege.............  and the "pity" part for me comes in, when someone
asks if they can help me - depending on what I'm doing, I just want to say - if
I need help I will ask, but don't assume because I walk funny that I need help.
I get there - just a little differently than some!  I'd have loved to have been
in your shoes - I really like Gore, and hope he gets elected!

See ya
Beth

--
Don't forget to visit http://rvs.netporch.com/ for RVS fan pics, rvsfans