C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 01:10:06 EDT
Hi Joy,

I think a situation like today's is more of an opportunity one. You didn't go
up to him and make yourself visible to him. He saw you and decided to shake
your hand. How many people can say the same?

When I was a young child, I was in Las Vegas and Ed Sullivan came into the
lobby. I got kissed by him. That was an opportunity. I don't think it was
because of my handicap that he did that. It was late at night and he was
shaking hands and kissing everyone there. I am not in a wheelchair. Recently
I introduced myself to Monty Roberts when I went to his performance. That was
another opportunity situation. I told him that I ride at a therapeutic riding
program and wanted him to know that I have benefited tremendously because of
it.

If one "BEGS" to be noticed because of the handicap, then it's a PITY
situation, but if they come up to you of their own free will, then it's an
opportunity situation. Monty Roberts was signing books for people, so I
wasn't singled out, other than we had wanted him to know that I am a rider
too. We did go up to his rep and explain who I was. It was in my opinion an
opportunity to meet someone like him. Then again, I don't go to a lot of
these kind of functions.

Any one else?

Dina