C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:40:24 -0400
Hi Jennifer,

       My heart breaks for you, but you are having very normal reactions.
But I must tell you no new Mom can do it all. You are recouping from having
the baby and taking on a new role of mother along with whatever you normally
did. That's a lot. I am glad you got someone to come in help.  If you are
playing with and nursing her you are gettings lots of Mom time. I suspect
lots of new Mom's go thru this when there mothers or other caretakers  who
have more experience handling babies help out. Jennifer, I will tell you now
- you are going to be that child's mother for the rest of both of your lives
- she will know who her mother is, and she will love you. My very precious
Amber - was in the hospital for awhile with nurses caring for her, I had a
short stint home with her and then she went off to grandma's for daycare.
There certainly was a point where grandma seemed to rate over Mom. My mother
gloated and I rolled my eyes - out of her view of course. Today,Amber ( and
its been this way for years) and I are very close and good friends. And one
thing, parenting is never like you think its going to be. Kinda like
marraige - you have to leave wiggle room for the other person, leave
expectations behind. Get some rest, snuggle with your sweet baby, and relax
- the baby can feel your stress, and will react to it. She is going to love
you - and she already knows you are Mom. Let the rest happen in its own
time. Yes, I missed most of Amber's firsts - she talked for my Mom - walked
for a therapist, etc. On the other hand - I will get to help with moppiong
up tears from a broken heart,  pick out prom dresses, help pick out the
bridal stuff, and be the grandma when she has a baby. Of course I had a few
I could have missed - like when she pooped on me while we where in the tub
or when she walked up and threw-up all over me. I wailed and cried as hard
as she the time she threw up on me and her father laughed himself silly and
cleaned up both of us. Of course that is now one of the funny stories I
tell.

                                 Hugs - Trisha