From:
Chase Delaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:46:26 EST

I am wondering what other celiacs are doing for work.  Has celiac disease
impacted our work life choices, consciously or unconsciously?  I have tended
toward more isolative work environments, such as: bagging herbs in the back
room of a health food store, working as a park ranger and sole staff member
on a conservation property (having complete autonomy), selling cable
television products door to door (again, alone), and currently, working as a
freelance writer/photographer.  I have a hard time working around lots of
people and not being able to command my own schedule.  This has been true for
me both before and after diagnosis as a celiac.  I love teaching, but
frequent trips to the rest room are not conducive to the constraints of the
classroom.  Nor is having to eat small meals more often throughout the day in
order to manage potential hypoglycemic reactions.  Planning meals away from
home for a long day has been overwhelming to me when it is necessary several
days in a row.  I must admit, I really fear not being able to get enough to
eat: that's not in a gluttonous way, just enough so that I will not crash
from hunger/low blood sugar.

As far as being around lots of people at work, on a regular basis, I just
cannot handle it.  I was not at all surprised to learn recently that autism
is related to celiac disease, as I have often commented to my friends that I
must be partially autistic in that I get over-stimulated so easily (I must
have things quiet in order to focus). Though spoken lightheartedly, and with
a great respect for autism, surely there must be some truth to the matter.  I
love silence.

Celiac disease leaves me feeling much removed from the rest of the "crowd."
I am certain that it has impacted my work life choices as well as my thinking
in general, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  My experience with this
list is my first step out of isolation, and I am so grateful.

So, what do YOU do for work?

If these questions generate enough interest, I will post a follow up.