From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 18:13:33 -0400
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Caryl Wattman wrote:

> These findings seem a bit daunting, given the paleo diet.  Is there any reason
> to think (hope) that eating *just* meat, veggies, and fruit is better than
> eating meat, veggies, fruit, and all the other SAD stuff re: colon cancer and
> other dread dis-eases?

Personally, I believe that the other SAD stuff makes the picture
worse but does not explain the strength of the correlation
between colon cancer and meats.  The theory that it is
by-products of cooking that cause the trouble is plausible.  The
fact that paleo people ate their meats raw may be one of those
"initial conditions" to which our bodies are exquisitely
sensitive.  Furthermore, early/primitive cooking techniques used
lower temperatures.  Boiling and baking with buried rocks are
effective but do not involve the temperatures found in a modern
oven or on a stovetop.

Todd Moody