From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:55:22 -0500
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Cynthia Allingham wrote:

> Eating low carb, does increase your good cholesterol.  How much of this
> increase is due to increases in good cholesterol?

Only 3 points.  My HDL went from 32 to 35.  The rest was LDL,
which rose to something like 250; I forget the exact number.

> Anyway, I would consider taking E, garlic, and flaxseed oil to control your
> cholesterol level.  And if that doesn't work, then and only then, cut back on
> eating meat and eggs.

Been there, done that.  It didn't have much effect.  What did
work dramatically was the addition of non-paleo soy protein,
which I discontinued after a couple of months.  The cholesterol
started to rise again.  This time I tried using the leanest meat
I could find and eating nuts as a fat source.  This appeared to
work well, and it's what I have continued doing, for the most
part.  I eat between 1 and 2 cups of nuts a day, and eat lean
meats.  Eggs too.  Last time I checked my cholesterol was down to
235.

I have experimented a lot with variations and watched the
cholesterol response.  It's very interesting.  The correlation
with animal fat is pretty clear.  If, for example, I "cheat" and
indulge in fattier meats for a week or so (such as chicken with
skin), it goes right up.  Another thing that seems to push it up
is higher caloric intake, no matter what I'm eating.  Soy drops
it like a rock, but I prefer to try to control it from within
paleo guidelines.  So far, lean meat and nuts is the best bet as
long as I keep calories at a reasonable level (roughly 3,000 per
day).  Pemmican is out, but I still use jerky.

Todd Moody