VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:35:53 -0800
Hmm, you have a lot here, and I'm not sure which comments are questions.
I'll answer what I think you're asking.

On 2/13/2018 6:17 PM, becky H. wrote:

I have an android samson galaxy j3 mission.

Q. Some place in the phone there is a built in tutorial on how to do
things.

A. Most Samsung phones have two screen readers. One is called Voice
Assist (I think) and is made by Samsung. The other is TalkBack and is
made by Google. If you're using TalkBack, you can find a tutorial for
learning TalkBack gestures by going into Settings, then Accessibility,
then TalkBack, then Settings, then Start TalkBack Tutorial. Voice Assist
probably has something similar, but since I've never owned a Samsung
device, I don't know.

Q. I wanted to know how to make my contact list easier to get to.

A. You can put a shortcut to the Contacts app on your home screen. Just
go into the app drawer and long-press the Contacts icon. In other words,
from the Home screen, tap an icon called Apps or Apps List, which is
near the bottom of the screen, right above the Home button. Then on the
grid that appears, locate the Contacts app, double-tap, and hold your
finger on the screen after the second tap. when you hear a rising
sequences of tones that abruptly ends, you've successfully put the
Contacts on your home screen, where you can access it quickly.

But you really don't need to go to Contacts to call, email, or text
people. You can go into whatever app and just start typing their name.
For example, if you want to call Mickey Mouse and Mickey is in your
contacts, tap the phone icon, then tap the Search icon at the top of the
Phone screen, then type the first few letters of Mickey's name, then
slide your finger below the search box to find out what suggestions are
there. When you find Mickey's name, tap it to place the call.

Q. and I was wondering if I can set it to talk everything I need to? I
mean I have trouble with the screan.

A. So are you saying your phone isn't speaking to you? ... If you're
using TalkBack, you need to turn it on by going into Settings, then
Accessibility, then TalkBakc and tapping the On switch in the top right
corner. You also need to make sure Touch Exploration is turned on. It
should be, but if your screen isn't responding, you need to check. This
is one of the options in TalkBack Settings. The settings Icon is on the
same screen where the on/off icon is.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]