VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:49:53 -0800
We all have different experiences. I've been using Android for personal
and work since the platform was considered marginally accessible, and my
jobs involve lots of smart phone use. The latest screen reader survey
suggests that I'm not alone. The percentage of people using TalkBack was
something like 25-30%.

You mention that programs geared for blind users don't teach Android. I
agree, and I suspect that this is one of the reasons why the platform
hasn't caught on more. Apple is what trainers know and what they tell
themselves is more accessible. The situation is the same for Windows
screen readers. Jaws is taught because trainers know it and because they
tell themselves it's more accessible. NVDA, which is free, is a solid
screen reader. Even when it was less polished than it is now, it was
good enough for lots of non-work things, so it would have been fine for
people new to blindness, but agencies didn't start teaching it until
very, very recently.

I'm not sure if this pattern in the community is due to the sort of
conservativism that develops from risks gone bad or from misguided PR.