VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:45:32 -0500
Hello Fellow Listers:

Okay, unless I miss my guess, this whole discussion no doubt got started
courtesy of an item in Dean Martineau's Top Ten Tidbits for Thursday,
December 4th; specifically, item 10 which gave the following link regarding
the new accessibility features envisioned for Windows 7, the operating
system slated to replace vista:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/ff.asp

Did anyone happen to read far enough down the website and notice the blog
response posted by GRINSER? In case not, I've copied it below.

Has anyone, by chance, actually heard of this magical mother board which is
apparently running a screen-reader from BIOS? Admittedly, as regards
accessibility, we almost have it all now with the screen-readers available
to us, but we will only have true 100% parity when we get audio at the same
time that the sighted get video, i.e., from boot-up via the BIOS.

__________

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:13 AM

by GRINSER

re: Accessibility in Windows 7

It would be nice to have some high-dpi or audio support when booting into
safe mode indeed.
The problem is when you're pressing F8 and choosing in which mode to start,
it is the motherboard constructor who manage that, my friend has a
motherboard that talks to him through the whole boot process or when error
popup, that's really great even for me because I can check other thing
without having to wait on the screen for the next "message/error"

As far as I can see there is no such thing, that is a really important
feature that is missing. Maybe there is some obscure shortcut but it isn't
showed in the properties menu, which should be easily visible and
customizable.

John

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]