VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:52:22 -700

I am afraid I can'tentirely  agree with Mick, Reformatting the drive is a
last resort,
If you do this you'll have to entirely re install all your
applications.

It is a good enough bet to install 98 over 95 and see how it
works.  Often, not always, your applications will survive and
work.

Often 98 will have drivers for your hardware unless it is truly
weird or truly ancient.  In some cases you may have to go to the
web sites of the manufacturers of your strange hardware for
updated drivers, but more often than not, in my limited
experience, things will work pretty well or at least well enough
to get you going.

If things do go poor, and it is not at all uncommon for them to
do so, then the reformat and clean install is the next line of
defense.

On the other hand, if you don't mind reinstalling all your
applications, and if you have ALL the original software on disk
or CDRom, then the reformat and clean install may be your choice.

Oh, one assumes you are sure you have the resources, speed, hard
disk, ram etc. for 98, I think it demands at least nearly a
hundred megs of disk space, and probably a 66MHz processor.  You
should check the minimum specs before taking the plunge.

            It is a risk benefit situation, but that's life with
Microsoft.  Lots of risk and some benefit.

Tom Fowle

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered