VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 16:31:06 -0500
Peter,

I suppose you mean using the alt r key to read to end.  When blank lines
are on, I hear "blank" when the cursor goes past a blank line, three
blanks when it goes past three lines, etc.  I do not know why you are not
hearing the word blank with the alt r, read to end hot key when blank
lines is set to on.  If you are using a program that locks the cursor on a
status line while on the internet, then the alt r key won't work.  The
system works because vocal eyes sends a series of down arrows to the
application program then reads the lines that are drawn up, sends the
arrows again, etc.  If you are using a program that locks the cursor on
the status line, then you'll just hear the status line over and over
again.

I've already explained how to set up a dictionary file with vocal eyes.
I think someone mentioned it too on the list.  Please review that message
and give it a try.  As far as getting the dictionary loaded in DecTalk, I
do not know.  I use sounding board and the method I described works for me
perfectly.  Use your ascii text reader and search across multiple files in
the appendix files for Vocal eyes for the word exception, as in "exception
dictionary". Hope this is of some help and you can figure out the
specifics for DecTalk.

Steve

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Peter Seymour wrote:

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Steve Zielinski wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I don't think there is any kind of notification system built into vocal
> eyes to tell you when paragraphs begin.

That is too bad. The option of a clicking sound after two hard returns
would be useful.

 If your synthesizer does not
> delay between blank lines to indicate a paragraph, then the best thing you
> can do is set ve to tell you when blank lines are crossed.

That does not work when I read the screen by pressing Alt , which is when
knowing the paragraph breaks is quite useful.

It also does not when reading the Internet. It only seems to work when I
manually move the cursor over a blank line. It is under these situations
when I can detect a blank line, anyway, because of the silence.

> As far as dictionary creations for making your synthesizer speak words
> differently.  Create a file called speech.dic in your c:\\speech
> directory   An ASCII file of course.

Exactly how do I do this?

I use DEc talk.

Peter Seymour>