VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2011 21:41:01 -0400
Auto run doesn't work
3/29/2011
Q. I just installed the latest Windows security updates. Now my flash drives don't open automatically when I plug them in. Did the update break my flash drives? Help!
-Robin from Syracuse, NY, listens to my national radio show on WXTL 105.9 FM
A. The latest Windows update does affect flash drives, Robin. It doesn't break anything, though. It actually fixes a long-standing security problem.
Microsoft has finally decided to modify the Autorun feature. Autorun detects and loads new media automatically. It handles flash drives, external drives, CDs, DVDS and more.
Microsoft originally added Autorun as an automated convenience. It opens external media so that the Autoplay function can play content. Of course, hackers were quick to take advantage of these features.
For example, hackers have been known to plant viruses on flash drives. They leave the drive for someone to find. The unknowing victim plugs the drive into his computer.
Windows Autorun would load up the drive automatically. The virus would then run automatically without any interaction from the user. The victim wouldn't have a chance to stop it.
This was the delivery mechanism for several serious viruses. The Conficker and Stuxnet worms both took advantage of this method. Criminals have also used it in targeted attacks on businesses.
That's why you should never connect an unfamiliar flash drive. I also recommend having security software installed. Most security programs will scan flash drives automatically. Learn more about scanning flash drives.
Now, Microsoft disabled Autorun for flash drives and external drives in Windows 7. XP and Vista were still vulnerable until this latest patch.
XP was especially vulnerable. It lacks some core security features present in Vista and 7; it is an easier target for viruses in general.
The good news is that your flash drives and external drives will still work. They are available when you plug them in. You just have to open the drive and run programs manually.
You can do this by clicking Start>>Computer in Vista. In XP, you go to Start>>My Computer. You should see the removable drive listed. Just double-click the drive icon to open it. Then you can browse for files and programs.
This update doesn't affect CDs and DVDs. Microsoft felt they weren't a serious threat. That means you have to protect yourself. Make it a point not to use discs from unverified sources.
You can re-enable Autoplay, if you want to take the risk. Microsoft offers an Enable Auto run Fix- It tool. Click here to download it.
Auto run was a good idea that got misused by hackers. Learn about other computer features that hackers exploit:
Source for article
http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=10523&utm_medium=nl&utm_source=totd-recap&utm_content=2011-04-03-article&utm_campaign=answer-end-b

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]