From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:31:48 -0700
One more idea worth looking into besides using two different IP subnets
is to use MAC filtering to allow some nodes to see each other, and deny
nodes not on the list from getting anywhere but out the gateway. MAC
stands for Media Access Control, and there is a unique MAC number hard
coded into every network adapter out there. If you can make the right
filter in the access point, then you can trust certain MAC numbers and
let them talk to each other, and not trust others. Depending on how
sophisticated your router and access point are, you can get very
specific in how you filter things. This filter system works below the
level of TCP/IP, and can even deny complete access to your network, even
if that node uses the proper WEP key. It's a bit tricky to set up, but
can provide an extra layer of security to a network.