From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:22:30 -0700
I remember a patch Microsoft released nearly a year ago, last three
digits of the update number was 478 if memory serves. This particular
patch was to the TCP/IP stack, and it reacted very poorly on its initial
release with Zonealarm and other 3rd party firewalls, to the point of
breaking the stack for high-level apps like browsers and mail readers,
but not stack utilities like PING and TRACERT. This could be a similar
occurrence to that, or it could be a program inserting a reference into
the TCP/IP stack that points nowhere and produces similar symptoms. I
say sweep the computer for viruses and make sure it has the good version
of that patch I mentioned. Uninstalling and reinstalling 3rd party
firewalls might also help some.