Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:47:02 -0800
  I'm guessing that this is an internal modem, right?

  These are very commonly configured to be addressed as COM2.
Unfortunately, many modern motherboards include two serial ports, and
when the CMOS config is reset to its defaults (as happened once when
the battery died and was replaced, and again when you manually set it
to defaults), the motherboard ports are configured as COM1 and COM2.
  So when software tries to talk to the modem as COM2, it gets
answers from TWO devices (the modem and the motherboard), and can't
sort out who is the "real" COM2.

  The easiest fix is a non-default CMOS setting -- in the CMOS setup,
go to "Peripherals" and change the settings of the second serial
port.  (To "disabled" is the simplest and most foolproof choice,
although some other settings may also work.)

  [It is just barely possible that the modem isn't configured as
COM2, but as some other port -- I've had to assume the most common
case because you haven't given the details of the I/O error -- which
would be different if it was some other case.]

David Gillett

On 27 Nov 2001, at 9:59, Patty Carson wrote:

> I recently got a CMOS checksum error when booting, and the clock would not
> hold the date and time.  I also was no longer able to use the modem (the
> modem definition got removed from the modem options somehow).  The computer
> "froze up" when I tried adding a modem.  Because of the clock problem, the
> first thing I did was replace the battery.  This did not help. I was
> temporarily able to eliminate the CMOS Checksum error message; but I still
> get the I/O conflict error.  I still can't add the modem.   I went into CMOS
> settings and set the settings to default.  This did not change anything.
> Can you please give me a hint where to go, and what to change.  I think the
> problem occurred because our four-year-old went crazy with the clicking of
> the mouse and made some setting changes somewhere.
>
> Patty Carson
> Erie Custom Computer Applications, Inc. (ECCA)
> 1600 Peninsula Drive
> Erie PA 16505
> Voice: (814) 835-2222
> Fax: (814) 838-5099
> Email: [log in to unmask]
>
> ---------This electronic communication transmission contains information
> belonging to Erie Custom Computer Applications, Inc. which may be
> privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
> The information is intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
> disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of the contents of this
> electronic communication information is strictly prohibited. If you received
> this electronic communication in error, please notify me immediately by
> telephone at (814)835-2222 (collect) so that we can arrange for the
> retrieval of this information.
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>