From:
"S. Stubbs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:14:44 -0500
Yep, if it were me I would uninstall win98.
So you bought a full version of win98 on CD?
Is the boot startup disk from a friend made from win98, make sure?
If so you have what is needed to reload/install win98.
First before you do ANYTHING. When you install clean you
will erase everything. BE PREPARED, and BACKUP
everything you want to keep on your win98 machine NOW.
If you can't get into win98 all the way, try to get to files
you need in DOS and copy to floppy or any way you can.
You would need to know some DOS commands.
If not well, too bad. Do you have CDs or info for all your
drivers for your hardware? Go to friends house to get info
on ALL your hardware from internet. Even down to the motherboard,
cause my mobo even has drivers.  Do you have CDs for
your software programs like Word? If so you can reload
them after a good install of win98 OS.
Once you have thoroughly investigated getting all your
hardware info and drivers, and once you have everything
you want to keep saved, then you may start over.
It is quite a task for beginner to install win98 clean.
I would suggest going to friend's house and looking up
installing win98 on the internet.This would also help you to
understand the processes. It is important to understand
everything and make a list of what you are going to do
and have all your drivers and software in order
before beginning process.
First you use the DOS program FDISK, found on win98
startup disk, which partitions hardrives. Then you would
use the DOS FORMAT program which formats the partitions.
This is also found on the startup disk. These programs will
clean and prepare your hard drive for new OS. They are very
powerful.
This is enough info written here to get you started.
Good luck, read up on the process...
Susan Stubbs