From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:56:24 -0400
At 10/10/00 10:19 PM, Jose E. Dominguez wrote:

>Thanks to all who reply. Hard drive space is not an issue,1 gig is a bit much
>I must admit, I'll set it at 600MB. A client has got this particular problem
>and I'm hoping a fixed swap might help.
>
>http://www3.autodesk.com/adsk/support/techdoc/0,,127879-123112-273818-20021_21841,00.html

The problem indicated in URL description is not related in any way to
memory or swap files.

Resources in the article refer to the fixed allocated memory space (65,000
bytes) that keeps track of certain attributes about open Windows programs.
I have to deal with these resource restraints daily because of all the
resource hog background tasks that our company runs on their
machines.  Certain applications (notably Autocad, Eudora, Netscape, Music
Match to name a few) use unusually large amounts of this fixed 65,000
bytes.  I keep the resource meter active in the systray for Win 95 and Win
98 machines so I can see when the computers are about to crash (Bar-graph
turns orange).  I then have to free up resources by closing down some
windows and hopefully get back my stable machine.

An article that explains Win 9x Resources fairly well is at:

http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2000/11.htm

It is aimed at problems caused by programs which have resource leaks, but
the explanation of Win 9x resources is good for non-leak but resource hog
program problems too.

Doug

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org