From:
James Baird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:06:41 -0600
Anne, check out the Brother HL-1440 laser printer.  I bought mine when they first came out and it is still running faultlessly.  It was the editor's choice printer for 5 or 6 months.  The extended print cartridge (6000 pages) is $60 delivered and the printer is now selling at Computers4sure for $145.  They have the HL-1435 for $99.  It has the same print engine as the 1440. I bought a second 1440 when the price dropped to $200 as a backup.  So far, that has been a needless expense.  I am now well into the 8th toner cartridge.  I do all of the printing for our church, bulletins, newsletters, posters, correspondence, etc., so reliability, quality, and expense was an important consideration.  The 1440 consistently prints at its rated speed of 15ppm.  Another nice feature is there is nothing you have to insert or pull out before printing.  The paper is carried internally in a tray so the footprint remains the same whether you are printing or not.  When memory prices dropped, I upgraded both printers to the maximum 34MB for about $10 total.  They use 62-pin SIMMs instead of proprietary memory like some.

Jim