From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:50:40 -0700
There are several things you can consider before looking to upgrade. One
thing is to run a program that comes with Windows called MSCONFIG and
look at all the programs that start running when Windows does. By
turning off some of those, you can speed up the computer. Your son can
assist with MSCONFIG, as that program involves a bit of geek speak to
properly use. Another couple steps to take are to clean up your computer
using a program I use called CCleaner. It makes a big difference on my
system, and I have a 6-month-old computer with very fast hardware. The
other step that I recommend is to use a program that comes with Windows
called Disk Defragmenter to organize the files on your hard disk so
Windows can look through them faster to find what it needs. Using
CCleaner and Disk Defragmenter back to back, once a week or every other
week, can make a big difference in how fast and smooth your computer is.
You can go to www.ccleaner.com to download and install CCleaner, and
Disk Defragmenter is already in your Start Menu under All Programs,
Accessories, and System Tools. The one thing I could recommend as a
hardware upgrade for your computer would be to add more RAM. 1 GB is
usually oodles for Windows XP, but more may help it run smoother with
more programs open at one time. I also might recommend a change in your
antivirus program from Live OneCare (which Microsoft is no longer
making) to one like AVG Antivirus. My computer has run both, and it's
just a little faster with AVG instead of OneCare. You can get AVG for
free at free.avg.com. There are other good antivirus programs out there
for free like Avast. Other group members can recommend more. Best of
luck to you. :)