From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:39:40 -0400
First, since it worked once, I would suspect a sudden hardware failure.
however, check this too. Go to Start, Run, and enter winipcfg and press
okay.  Select your adapter from the drop down list, and check that both PC's
have a unique adapter address.  Check that the subnet mask is 255,255,255,0.
Next, right-click network neighborhood, properties, and click properties for
File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks. Check Browse Master settings.
You may want to adjust it to enable, but at the least it should be set to
automatic on both PC's.  Reboot.  Now, go into Start, Find, Computer, and
search for the other computer's name.
After that I would try replacing hardware parts.

You don't need all the protocols.  If you intend to share the modem or play
networked games, keep TCP/IP. Once you get things running, I would uninstall
the others.
Tom Turak