From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:46:50 -0500
It's not uncommon for the power supply to shut down if a component is bad.
So a fried hard disk can prevent the power supply from coming on, so the fan
does not spin.  You can't test the power supply by disconnecting everything
and turning it on; if it senses no load, it should just sit there and do
nothing.  The proper diagnostic trick is to unplug all your drives, floppy,
cd, etc and try turning the pc on.  If nothing happens you remove
non-essential cards like modem, network, (I don't take the sound card out
now since it can be a pain reinstalling) and try again.  Still no luck? Pull
all the memory you can (pentium's require a minimum ram install of a pair of
matched simms, you may have two pair installed) and try again.

If you are still not getting any indication of power, you may as well try a
last ditch move.  Disconnect the wires from the motherboard and reconnect
one drive, preferably one that has an led or is noisy enough so you can tell
its getting power, and try again.  Success here would indicate a bad video
card or (more likely) a dead cpu.

If at any time you do get power, reconnect one thing at a time and repeat
the test until something fails.

A power supply replacement is typically a messy job.  Lots of wires and
tight confinement, and for AT power supplies, you have to remove or
disconnect the switch too.

Tom Turak