Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 01:08:53 -0600
I like to have at least one extra partition for Archives:
for the win98 install and CAB files, the updates, drivers for my
hardware, the install files for my programs and utilities, latest
DirectX, a copy of my dial-up networking connection, etc., and
of course back-ups of my daily data, (email, documents).

This way, when I have incurable problems with windows, I can
format c: and reinstall everything I need without having to dig out
a bunch of CDs, or search the web again for the latest drivers, or to
download those programs again, or to type in my dial-up settings.

Another good reason for an extra partition, although I haven't done it
yet; Ghost or xcopy your c: when you have it working *just right* to
a spare partition.
Then when your computer becomes unstable, format c: and then move your
copy back to c: to get back up and running really fast. This method would
work best if your data is also maintained on another partition.

If you have a CD writer, or other external storage device, and make
regular backups and copies of the files mentioned, you can certainly
get by without any extra partitions, (but more work for you keeping
track of those discs).
I like lots of partitions and haven't yet seen a good reason not to
have them, (currently: 9 partitions on 3 hard drives).
  Larry Hooper

William Closure wrote:
> I have read about people partitioning hard drives, and I'm trying to
> understand the benefits, as well as the down side.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>