From:
TalkingDog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 01:26:25 -0600
Ian wrote:
> My boot floppy has universal CD drive software, as well as fdisk and
> all the usual stuff, so I set up the drive with that, then use xcopy32
> to copy the entire Windows CD to a new c: folder I call 'Winstart'.
> Then I set up Windows from there.

I like that you put the install and cab files on the HD, but, I'd suggest
throwing the HD into the new box before running setup.

> When I've finished, I disconnect the drive, throw it into the new
> computer case and let it recognise all of it's new hardware, which
> usually takes about 5 minutes.  I've never bothered to remove the
> existing hardware configurations before relocating it, maybe it'd be
> a good idea to do so.  There is a way of removing the entire hardware
> configuration, via an 'enum' key, but I've not used it - maybe someone
> else might be able to comment.

Well, I'm the one who posted a message about HD swap using another message
with all its arrow things, (>>>), and other confusing stuff. I'll try to
shorten the message in light of your query:

Restart your office/easy-chair computer, with the newly configured hard
drive, in "Safe Mode". Start/settings/control panel/system/device manager.
Delete EVERYTHING in device manager... drives before drive controllers.
Your mouse should continue to work while in safe mode.
Start/run; type: "regedit", without the quotes. When regedit opens find
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum. Delete this entire key.
Start/Shutdown.

Now plug your new hard drive into the new computer and crank it up. It will
find the new hardware as before, but without any chance of conflicts from
old hardware data. Good as new! ! !
Larry Hooper
P.S. I just looked, and Win2k doesn't have the same registry keys, so this is
a win9X only tip. There are several /enum keys in w2k.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml