From:
Brendon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 22:18:10 +0200
Another reason I have to partition is to have different Operating systems on
your PC (or different versions if you would. Usually a developer has a need
to test his apps in different environments, but he only has one machine.
What to do. Install Win NT, 95, 98, ME, XP, even Linux onto the same hard
drive. I currently have Win 95, 98 and NT4, together with Mandrake Linux and
FreeBSD on my 40 Gb drive. I have 2 other drives in my machine as well. I'm
now trying to load Progeny Linux, but it seems to insist on killing current
partitions that I have on my machine. I still have plenty of free space for
data and additional apps.

Another reason is to keep your operating system, program files and data on
separate partitions. So if your operating system crashes, you can recover
fairly quickly by reinstalling the OS and then the program files.

Yes you do need to reinstall the program files, because the programs need to
create system files in windows and write entries to the registry and make
entries on your Start Menu. But it should go a little quicker, because the
program files are already there on drive D: and you wouldn't have lost any
data either.

Anyway, good luck. Hope we have all given food for thought on your question.
And yes as someone pointed out already, this question has been around for a
while on numerous forums and list servers and I'm sure you would find more
good reasons if you search the internet.

Cheers
Brendon

<snip>

I like to have at least one extra partition for Archives:

<snip>

Another good reason for an extra partition, although I haven't done it
yet; Ghost or xcopy your c: when you have it working *just right* to
a spare partition.

<snip>

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com