From:
Brendon Schafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:13:46 +0200
Hi All

I have 2 PC's. One has Win95 the other has Win98. I have them networked sharing printers and files in both directions.

On both PC's, the network card is installed correctly. IP Addresses I have assigned are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. The workgroup for both PC's is Home. I also have NETBEUI and IPX/SPX protocols installed. I have file and printer sharing on both machines enabled. The names of the machines are NOT the same. As far as I can tell, the software is set up correctly. I double click on the Network icon, Entire Network icon is there. Double click on Entire network, Home workgroup is there as expected. I doubled click on home and the only PC listed is the one that I am working on at that time. I've uninstalled the protocols and adapters and reinstalled.

The only thing that I can think of now is
1) the hub is faulty
2) network cable is faulty on one of the sides.

I also mention that when I switch on one of the PC's, the light on the hub that the machine is connected lights up (which kind of negates the cable theory). I have tried various combinations on the hub (using different ports) without success.

I'm not a networking expert (if I was I probably wouldn't be asking such questions). I only got the information on networking from the internet (www.pcnineoneone.com). The network cards are both D-Link DE220 ISA PnP LAN. The hub is a OvisLink 8 port hub. I do not know what kind of cabling it is - I think just standard stuff with RJ-45 connectors if that says anything.

I've been through the Network Troubleshooter on Windows (95 and 98) and this didn't help (solve the problem). Is there anything that I have possibly overlooked (I've done this a few times now on both PC's and different configurations (NT-95, NT-98, 95-98 etc) and never had any problems. In fact the network was set up correctly a few days ago (weeks now actually) just after I reformatted both HDD's. I have since been fiddling with the modem - deciding where to put it (best machine etc.) and bought a HP Officejet V40. The problem occurred before the purchase though.

Is there anything that anyone could suggest that I look at, before I go bald from pulling my hair out?

TIA

Brendon

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com