From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:07:07 -0500
David Hurst wrote:

> I have a 200 Mhx pentium machine running Win 95 that has run
> extremely reliably for 2 plus years.  In just the last moth it has
> developed a problem where after being on (and not in use) for some
> period of time, it just freezes..Sometime it just freezes, with the
> desktop still visible but the mouse cursor wont move and no keyboard
> strokes will work.  Other times, it in essence turns itself off..,
> showing the Windows "its ok to turn your computer off" screen...
>
> No new software or hardware added .. powers up and boots ok...and
> seems to work ok when it is being actively used... scandisk shows no
> problems.. and the drive is totally defragmented..Neither Viruscan
> or InnoculatePE show any virus proble....fan is running.. case feels
> slightly warm but not even close to hot.... all connections are
> tight...

  You have run it with the cover off to verify the CPU cooler fan is
running? If heat is not a problem then the power supply could be flaky.
But more than likely it is just accumulation of hundreds of .DLL files
and myriad changes to the registry and .ini files that has resulted in a
sick Windows OS. Try a backup and reinstall and see if the problem
persists on a clean install. If it does then it's time to narrow down
hardware components for the solution.

  First, check it with resource meter (pull a shortcut into the startup
folder so it always loads in system tray on boot) and watch what your
resources look like before a crash.

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist