From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:37:04 -0400
At 08:39 10/20/98 -0200, Carlos Arroyo Junior wrote:
>How can I print a .PS file if my printer is not a laser one?
>What can I do if I want to print a .PS file in my HP 500 C
>(deskjet printer)?
>What are the solutions for a Linux system and a Windows system?

Hi Carlos

You need a program that will translate the postscript file
into a form that your printer can print.

One of the best programs for this is called Ghostscript.
(Aladdin Enterprises owns the copywrite for Ghostscript, but
it is available for free for non-commercial use.)

The home page for Ghostscript is at
<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.html>

If you are using Win 95,98, or NT, you can download
<ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs550/gsv26550.exe>.
This 3.3 MB file includes the Ghostscript interpreter,
Ghostview (a windows front end for Ghostscript) and a set
of fonts. Installation is simple...just double click on the
file gsv26550.exe after you have downloaded it.

If you want a Linux version, you may need to compile
from source code (which is available for download). Go to
<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/aladdin/get550.html>
or <http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gnu/index.html>.
There will soon be a precompiled version of Ghostscript
for RedHat Linux 5.1.

Regards,
Bill

                                  -----