From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:01:38 -0600
Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for your interest in _Dangerous Grains_ and your intriguing
question.

It is the opioid peptides from gluten that attach at a control center in the
brain (hypothalamic, pituitary, adrenal axis, also known as the HPA axis)
that regulates NK cells. There is also some evidence that opioids can have a
direct impact on NK cells. However, these effects are in the context of
celiac disease and gluten sensitivity where there is a leaky gut. The
opioids must be absorbed into the bloodstream to have this down regulating
impact on NK cells, whether direct or through the HPA axis. The study you
cite was conducted on a total of 9 ( a very small number) healthy subjects
in a part of Asia where celiac disease is extremely rare.

Further, hydrolysis is a chemical process that is used to break covalent
bonds in compounds. On page 30 of _Dangerous Grains_ I mentioned the bonds
in gluten that are resistant to digestion. These problematic bonds are the
covalent bonds that hydrolysis breaks.

Based on the study you cited, I would speculate that either hydrolysis is
breaking the opioid sequences in gluten, or  none of these subjects had a
leaky gut during the course of this study. However, even if my speculation
is accurate, I still don't understand why hydrolysates would cause an up
regulation of NK cells unless the Peyer's patches (immune system sensors) in
the lower part of the small intestine are sensing wheat hydrolysates as
pathogens and signaling for up regulation of the immune system that somehow
also activates NK cells. I have not heard of Peyer's patches inciting NK
cell activation, but perhaps it is possible.

While there may be circumstances in which NK cell up regulation could help
an individual fight acute disease, any potential benefits of the identified
immunomodulating impact of hydrolyzed gluten (if this study is or has been
replicated by other researchers) should be weighed against harmful impacts
of gluten consumption.

Finally, celiacs and gluten sensitive (GS) individuals need to avoid HPP and
HVP (hydrolyzed plant protein and hydrolyzed vegetable protein) as they are
often hidden sources of gluten that can cause dramatic symptoms. Thus,
hydrolysis does not neutralize all of the harmful properties of gluten for
celiac and GS individuals.

Please press me for clarification if I have not answered your question.
Again, thank you for your interest in _Dangerous Grains_. I am always
thrilled to respond to questions about its content, except as regards the
discussion of glutamine supplements and frying foods, as I didn't write
those parts.

Best Wishes,
Ron

Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
co-author Dangerous Grains ISBN: 978158333-129-3 www.dangerousgrains.com
editor: Scott-Free Newsletter www.celiac.com
"Objectivity is the prerogative of objects."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=16377907&dopt=Abstract