From:
Carrie Coineandubh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:39:55 -0800
> Date:    Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:51:33 -0500
> From:    William <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Molecular Mimicry

>>> Evolution * is * not * proven.
>> The theory of gravity * is * not * proven.  It could be something that
>> acts kinda
>> like gravity and isn't.
>
> Gravity is a law, not a theory.

*** That doesn't make it more or less proven than a theory. Laws are simple
observations of phenomena that have never been observed to behave other than
the Law describes them. Scientific Theories describe more complex phenomena.
Evolution is not narrow enough to be a Law, but is still regarded as true,
just as the General Theory of Relativity is regarded as true, and is based
in part on the narrow Law of Gravity. In short, if evolution hadn't been
proven, it would not have been granted Theory status. It would still be but
a lowly Hypothesis.

> If we could have a poll, I propose this as the most off-topic ever.
> What say you?

*** I vote no--if we are to discuss this topic (at least in part) on a
scientific basis, it is well to discuss the merits and the limitations of
science. Further, I very much enjoyed reading the exchange of posts so far,
although I am not a Solipsist myself.

--Carrie