From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:27:01 -0600
May be "Paleo" but not smart in terms of nutrient timing promoting an
anabolic post-workout metabolic condition. Assuming some form of EPOC/HIIT
training, post workout combination of whey/l-leucine will optimize recovery
and adapative response. This is all dealt with in considerable depth in my
July 2005 interview article with John Ivy, nutrient timing pioneer and chair
of the dept of Kinesiology, University of Texas Austin. Since publication,
however, I've learned the traditional mixture of high glycemic, fast
absorbing sugars (sucrose, glucose, maltodextrin), whey, and l-leucine has
been superceded by research finding whey works fine, the sugars adding
nothing to update and glucose spike for anabolism.

For my part, working out an average six days weekly, one hour approximately,
15-30 seconds rest between sets, reps in the 12-30 range, I'm famished
within an hour. Perhaps that's akin to a real hunting struggle taxing
resources and the accompanying blood lust to taste the fruits of the hunt.

As for a Paleo orientation to strength training, there's only one book in
print I'm familiar with: Paul Burke's Neo-Dieter's Handbook. A former
physique champion in his mid 50s, Paul continues training hard with a
refined version of Paleo, thereby successfully staving off MS's futile
attempts to make advances aimed at undercutting his health, well-being, and
considerable creativity. John Berardi is another author who comes to mind in
a sorta-Paleo orientation - his coauthored piece with Dr John Robertson,
something akin to Eat Like A Neanderthal appeared in 2 parts on
t-nation.comsome years ago, an excellent piece of writing.

Otherwise, I sure haven't found Paleo oriented works of much value or
understanding of the task for strength training - the best cure along with
Paleo for sacropenia and metabolic syndrome / chronic degenerative diseases.
Them Iron Pills do it well.

Stay Strong,

Ken