Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:48:07 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:
> >> I would in addition propose that some parts were simply left in the
> >> gut, where the intestinal flora will "take care" of it.
> >> But not the friendly ones.
> >>
> >> Amadeus
> >    Pure myth.
> >   Mike
>
> I don't think so, Mike.  The incompletely digested proteins are
> called "polyamines."  They include substances with such charming
> names as cadaverine and putrescine.  They are found in the gut.
> What I don't know, however, is whether a paleo diet significantly
> reduces their time of residence there.  There is a theory that
> the polyamines are the cause of the link between red meat and
> colon cancer, but it is also possible that the real problem is
> that they stay in the gut too long as a result of digestive
> slowdown caused by other things (like maybe dairy, for instance).
It's also possible that the presence of incompletely digested
proteins is due to non-paleo eating (rather than too much
protein) in the first place. People with Celiac desease (sensitivity
to gluten) have all sorts of digestive problems. Their intestines
are covered with a layer of mucosa as a protection from gluten.
Many nutrients do not get absorbed as they should (B-12 is one
example). The real test would be to see if there are these
incompletely digested proteins in the intestines of paleo eaters
who also eat high protein meals.

Ilya