Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:27:44 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
> I may quote Loren Cordaine from Paleodiet where I found:
> ..."
> Additionally, bone mass is also dependent upon the relative
> acid/alkaline dietary load (2,3).   Acid generated by the diet is
> excreted in the urine and can cause calciuresis.   Meat and fish have a
> high potential renal acid load (PRAL) whereas fruits and vegetables have
> a negative PRAL, meaning they reduce acid excretion.   The human kidney
> cannot excrete urine with a pH lower than 5; consequently  the acids
> (mainly phosphate and sulfate) of acid producing foods such as meats,
> fish and some cereals must be buffered partially by calcium  which is
> ultimately derived from the skeleton (2,3).
> "... end of quote
I've seen this before and it is something that appears to make sense
theoretically, just does not work like that in real humans. Those
consuming above average protein tend to have higher bone density
than those consuming less. This came up a few times on one of the
lists I am on (I think the lowcarb-l). There was an explanation of
how the body handles the acid and it wasn't by leaching calcium out
of the bones. As usual, I don't remember what it was - saw it, groked it,
and forgot it as no longer needed.

Ilya.